Wednesday 1 February 2012

HI VIZ INCOMING - FEB 1, 2012.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 9:00:28 AM, you wrote:

G’day Damien

It  is a concern on what the French pollies have done, especially when
it  is  not wide sweeping to encompass all riders of both motorised or
manually  powered  scooters, bicycles and motorcycles, or perhaps even
pedestrians for that matter.

On  reading some of the forum comments that Christian forwarded to us.
I  couldn’t  help  but  wonder where some of the people buy their ride
gear from.

All  my  synthetic  ride  gear  has  a lot of silver iridescent piping
around  many  of  the  seams  and is even highly visible inside a room
during  the day when sunlight strikes it. Some of my jackets even have
hidden interwoven iridescent patches that become visible at night when
lights  shine  upon it. My soft luggage also has iridescent patches on
them. I can also choose a variety of brightly coloured gear such as my
red  and  black  mesh  fully  armoured  mesh  jacket I wear while city
running.

I  often  notice  people  riding  on  scooters  in particular but also
motorcycles  with their fluoro vest, but no actual personal protective
ride  gear and in fact they’re often in shorts and t-shirt with thongs
on.  Why  they  wear the brain box is beyond me with nothing inside to
protect. Oh that’s right, the law requiring it.

I  am  all  for  personal  choice  if people want the false feeling of
safety  in  a  fluoro  vest,  lost  among  all  these  people  wearing
fluoro/day  glow  clothing  and/or  vests  on  a  daily basis. Council
worker,  courier,  truck  driver, police officers, ambulance, fireman,
traffic  controller,  construction  worker,  cleaner,  postal officer,
first aiders, road construction workers, event volunteers and it seems
that the list continues to grow almost monthly.

The  risk  in  this  is the desensitisation of the general public from
taking  notice  of  fluoro  clothed  people  as  it  becomes a general
clothing article, instead of a safety awareness tool.

As  for  police calling for mandatory fluoro personal protective gear.
It  really  amuses  me  when  you  rarely ever see a motorcycle police
officers  riding  with a protective jacket on, let alone a fluoro vest
(NSW).  Usually  They’re  in  short  sleave  uniform  shirt in summer,
seemingly bullet proof. Just another bunch of squids in my eyes.

It  amazes  me  that  the  motorcycle  clothing industry hasn’t held a
violent  protest  in  France  for  the  curtailing  of  their  fashion
industry.

Fluoro  may  be  fine  to  some,  but  rider  position is paramount in
defensive riding skills and I also notice how the fluoro wearers often
place  themselves  in blind spot positions, instead of in more visible
positions to other motorists depending on varying driving situations.

My  old  bike was mostly white and rose coloured and my current larger
bike is black. Both being 95 models have head light hard wired and yet
I  immediately  noticed  how  my  larger  bike  was provided much more
respect  over my multi coloured mid-size bike, even though it is pearl
black.

Regards

Peter Hawker
PO Box 4062
KOGARAH BAY NSW 2217
Mobile: 0422 923 825
Email: peterhawker5@bigpond.com
http://mcssac.blogspot.com/
http://petesrallyadventures.blogspot.com/


Hello Peter.

Thanks for the email. Can I put it on my blog?

In my opinion, the move by VicRoads/TAC/VPOL to make protective, hi viz
gear  compulsory for motorcycle & scooter riders has little to do with
road  safety.  If  they  were  fair  dinkum  they'd  be  wanting  more
protective  gear for pushbike and power-assisted bike riders too. And,
hi viz vests for pedestrians. But they target us.

Again,  in  my  opinion,  among  contributory  factors  to  the French
hypocrisy  (their  law  only applies to big bikes!) and the Australian
stupidity  (this  is not evidence based law-making), are bike bigotry,
do-gooder  desire  to  save people from themselves, lust for power and
greed for fines.

The  fact  is  there is no scientifically demonstrated need for hi viz
protective  gear.  It is available. Many riders wear it, especially in
the cooler months in cooler climates.

Another  fact  is that in about a decade the number of road riders has
doubled  while  casualties  have significantly decreased. Motorcycle &
scooter  riding  has never been safer.

Victorian Motorcycle Council (VMC) graph submitted to the Parliamentary Inquiry into motorcycle & scooter safety in 2010.

We  can  say  with  some confidence that the lack of hi viz protective
clothing   for  motorcycle  &  scooter  riders  is  not  significantly
contributing  to  bike casualties in Victoria, so why the push for new
laws? ... see above.

G'day Damien,

No worries mate. The Bear is also going to use it on his ARR blog.

As  I  noted to Pete. You could add a footnote of the fact that my old
mid-range  bike  was  written  off in a crash, when a P plater saw and
identified  a  motorcycle  approaching  in  the right lane at night in
rainy  conditions  and he pulled out from the left lane cutting me off
when  I  was inside 10 meters from him. Thanks to my protective gear I
was at work the next day and the only fluoro was the iridescent piping
and  interwoven patches. Not that it mattered because I was identified
as  a  motorcycle  before  he  cut  me off and crashed into me. He got
booked and his insurance had to pay out mine.

Regards
 
Peter Hawker
PO Box 4062
KOGARAH BAY NSW 2217
Mobile: 0422 923 825
Email: peterhawker5@bigpond.com 
http://mcssac.blogspot.com/
http://petesrallyadventures.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment