Wednesday 9 August 2017

DRIVING TO BE ILLEGAL?

LATELINE - ABC TV - AUGUST 9, 2017.
I admit it was late but I think I heard a Monash University Professor (first name Rob?) say that when robot cars came in driving should become illegal!
This bloke was an "ethisist". I gather that's an academic with a licence to pontificate about everything even if he/she is totally ignorant of the subject being discussed.
Personally, I resent automatic gear boxes because they remove control of the vehicle from the operator. Don't get me started on cruise control and sat nav and all the rest of the reduce-human-involvement product they want to sell us. Blokes like Rob are social engineers for hire.
His call to ban human involvement in the driving (and presumably riding) task is based on opinion and what will get on TV, NOT science. This is an opportunity to pontificate on possible gizmology, probably for a fee, that Monash, and other, academics are not shy of leaping to. Like the conclusions they leap to when telling us that wire rope barriers are good for us.
I won't be getting into a driverless car.
Anyone got a link to this segment on Lateline???
Damien
IRG
Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment