Tuesday, 9 October 2012
CITY OF MELBOURNE ELECTION 4
Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 4:27:08 PM, you wrote:
Good to hear from you.
I have discussed your questions with the team and have provided our
As usual, not all are straightforward answers.
As a Councillor for the last 3 years and 10 months, sometimes, it is
not easy to get everything done as there are so many groups with
Gary Singer-John So - Melbourne Living
From: Damien Cognotto OAM [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Sunday, 7 October 2012 11:55 AM
Subject: CoM ELECTIONS 2012
GARY SINGER - JOHN SO MELBOURNE LIVING
My family votes in the City of Melbourne elections.
Motorcycle & scooter (PTW) riders who own city businesses and property
vote in these elections.
Tens of thousands of people commute by PTW to the CBD and inner
suburbs each working day. Many more visit to shop and for
entertainment. This number has doubled in a decade and will continue
to grow as people seek to avoid the problems generated by Melbourne's
chronic traffic congestion.
If elected, will you:
1. seek to establish & promote more centre-of-the-road PTW parking?
- Yes in suitable locations
2. seek to establish & promote more off-street PTW parking with
lockers for protective clothing as a road safety measure?
- As above
3. lobby park & ride facility operators to provide secure, lit parking
for PTWs as a link to public transport, particularly in outer suburbs?
You can park 6 to 10 PTWs in a single car space.
- Yes, will advocate and lobby for this
4. lobby the Ambulance Service and MFB to use more PTWs to lower
response times, reduce traffic disruption and cut costs? A full-size
ambulance or fire truck responding to a false alarm or minor incident
in the city disrupts traffic. The majority of emergency calls in
Melbourne are false alarms or minor incidents.
- Ambulance and MFB decision - they may have their
own OH&S regulations.
5. lobby for more and continuing enforcement of in-car offences,
particularly mobile phone offences. This would benefit pedestrians and
6. support and promote the 110 anniversary celebration of the world
famous PTW precinct in Elizabeth Street? The first motorcycle shop was
opened near the GPO by the Milledge Brothers in 1903.
7. support PTW safety promotion like a RIDE TO WORK DAY for PTWs?
8. lobby for PTWs to be permitted to use bus lanes as done interstate
and overseas? A trial in Hoddle Street was due to end in June 2012 but
seems to have slipped into limbo.
- If VicRoads can agree.
9. lobby VicRoads to permit and encourage traffic filtering by PTWs as
they do with bicyclists.
- Yes if no safety issues
The Independent Riders' Group would very much appreciate your answers to
these 9 questions so we can inform riders who vote in the coming CoM
Attached is some background information.
Damien Codognotto OAM
Independent Riders' Group
Tel: 03 9846 8621