Sunday, 7 October 2012
CITY OF MELBOURNE ELECTION 1
Have a look at the candidates in the City of Melbourne elections this month. Send them an email.
Click on "here" to get a list of candidtates. Send them an email on motorcycle & scooter
issues. I sent the email below with a more detailed submission.
Motorcycle & scooter (PTW) riders who own city businesses and property
vote in the City of Melbourne elections.
Tens of thousands of people commute by PTW to the CBD and inner
suburbs each working day. Many more visit to shop and for
entertainment. This number has doubled in a decade and will continue
to grow as people seek to avoid the problems generated by Melbourne's
chronic traffic congestion.
If elected, will you:
1. seek to establish & promote more centre-of-the-road PTW parking?
2. seek to establish & promote more off-street PTW parking with
lockers for protective clothing as a road safety measure?
3. lobby park & ride facility operators to provide secure, lit
parking for PTWs as a link to public transport, particularly in
outer suburbs? You can park 6 to 10 PTWs in a single car space.
4. lobby the Ambulance Service and MFB to use more PTWs to lower
response times, reduce traffic disruption and cut costs? A
full-size ambulance or fire truck responding to a false alarm or
minor incident in the city disrupts traffic. The majority of
emergency calls in Melbourne are false alarms or minor incidents.
5. lobby for more and continuing enforcement of in-car offences,
particularly mobile phone offences. This would benefit
pedestrians and bicyclists too.
6. support and promote the 110 anniversary celebration of the world
famous PTW precinct in Elizabeth Street? The first motorcycle
shop was opened near the GPO by the Milledge Brothers in 1903.
7. support PTW safety promotion like a RIDE TO WORK DAY for PTWs?
8. lobby for PTWs to be permitted to use bus lanes as done
interstate and overseas? A trial in Hoddle Street was due to end
in June 2012 but seems to have slipped into limbo.
9. lobby VicRoads to permit and encourage traffic filtering by PTWs
as they do with bicyclists.
The Independent Riders' Group would very much appreciate your answers
to these 9 questions so we can inform riders who vote in the coming
Attached is some background information.
Damien Codognotto OAM
Independent Riders' Group
Tel: 03 9846 8621